Monday, November 17, 2008

The Rule of Four.


Confession: I spent quite a fair bit of time reading this during class today. It was too chi kik la! Damn suspense!! Started last night and finished it before class was over.

Off Amazon, the review closest to what I felt about the book:

From Booklist
"The Da Vinci Code started the ball rolling, but these days you can hardly pick up a thriller that doesn't involve codes lurking in ancient literature. Tom is a senior at Princeton, torn between solitary scholarship and engagement with the world. His father sacrificed his life attempting to decipher the incredible secret of Hypnerotomachia Poliphili, a rare Renaissance text, and now his brilliant friend, Paul, is on the verge of cracking it himself. Tom resists its pull, but as a half-millennium of history comes to a head in one bloody weekend on campus, he finds himself sucked into its vortex anyway. The authors, best friends since childhood, have made an impressive debut, a coming-of-age novel in the guise of a thriller, packed with history (real and invented) and intellectual excitement. But despite their command of language and arcana, the book occasionally betrays its origins as a post-college project. Tom's romance with a sophomore, for example, lacks heft as competition for the Hypnerotomachia. Given the latter's huge historical implications, most of us will simply root for him to hit the books." Keir Graff


Yah so it's some Da Vinci code kinda thing where they figure out riddles and decipher stuff and amaze you. And and and!!! You know what!! Hahaha it's such a coincidence.. this book makes quite a number of references to Italy and the Renaissance because that's when the Hypnero was written, AND I KNEW WHAT IT WAS TALKING ABOUT! The Medici, and Savaronola, etc.. because of the Michelangelo book!! Hahahha. I was so excited reading the stuff they were explaining in the book that I already knew woohoo.. it's not often it happens.

Also Nix it explained what the Princeton eating clubs were hehe! Are you in one of them? :D Quick Nix figure out an ancient puzzle and make me a character in your book! :D:D

What I personally think of the book- I don't like the writing style much or any of the characters but I enjoyed the mystery and suspense, hmm and I would probably like it more if it were real.

OK AM NOT GOING TO BORROW ANY MORE BOOKS UNTIL MY EXAMS ARE OVER. SUPER MAJOR DISTRACTIONS!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

i didn't actually like the rule of four!! hehe. but yes! of course i am in an eating club. currently in the charter club, maybe switching to colonial or bickering somewhere. who knows. love you!

Unknown said...

if i ever wrote a book you would SO be one of the characters. starlets = rule of four!

Unknown said...

DID I MENTION that i love princeton? you have to come visit me there sometime. i love it so ooooo much. :) please come visit! i know you are saving up to visit don instead >:( hehe but maybe you'll get lucky!

Anonymous said...

yay yay yay love and miss you nix. i will go to america sometime!! :D:D:D not too soon, maybe, but sometime. i have a feeling you won't be leaving the place for good anytime soon. hehehe.